“…Thank you for encouraging opportunity to find new places, share bonding moments and some great memories on a March Saturday!” Julie
Celebrate the release of MercyMe’s new CD, Lifer, in a way that would engage listeners & maximize exposure for Star 99.1, MercyMe, Fair Trade Services, participating sponsors and local churches.
It’s our version of Pokemon Go. Hide 99 copies of the new CD, Lifer, throughout the tri-state area. On “Go day,” upload a Google map to our website with pin drops showing the exact locations. Invite listeners to participate in the tri-state area’s largest scavenger hunt.
- Create a fun listener experience, throughout the weekend, that could be shared on-air
- Maximize exposure by creating a social media component: #mercymego
- Keep listeners engaged by offering a runner-up prize
- Grand Prize: 2 tickets to see MercyMe’s concert in NYC on 3/30; attend a meet & greet before the show and receive MercyMe’s entire CD library.
- Runner-Up Prize: MercyMe’s entire CD library
- Contact churches & advertisers, pinpoint public spaces for location opportunities
- Run promos teasing the contest 2 ½ weeks prior to the start to explain the game & get our listeners excited to play
- Strategically hide 99 copies of Lifer throughout NY & NJ
- Finders Keepers…whoever finds the CD, keeps it. To qualify for the Grand Prize, “finder” needs to follow the instructions inside the envelope which essentially said: upload a picture of the CD at the location it’s found to either Facebook, Instagram or Twitter & include #mercymego
- Listeners who arrived at a location and the CD was already taken, could enter to win the runner-up prize by taking a picture of the location’s signage & sending it to us.
The Execution: For safety & weather reasons, CDs were wrapped in bright blue envelopes that clearly identified Star 99.1, the contents of the envelope & our website for more details. Our agreement with Pastors & Business owners was simple: hide the envelope in plain sight so they could be easily found.
Given the nature of the promotion, it was decided we would blitz local businesses who may not know Star but would love free advertising. Knowing our audience, it was a no-brainer that we would be able to prove the value of Star 99.1’s ability to get people in their door. It was an easy “sell” and yielded 58 potential new clients.
Timing and teamwork is what made this promotion work as we had 3 days, 3 states, 4 people and hundreds of miles to cover. The results were so worth it as social media, the phone lines and our email started blowing up.
So my daughter and I posted our Mercy Me CD success on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook but I wanted to email a thank you for coordinating a really fun contest. Saturday morning we got in the car, turned up the radio, Star99 of course, and took a ride to beautiful Ocean Grove, NJ. Even though we don’t live that far, we had never visited this beach town. Main Street is adorable and after finding the CD (yay) we were excited to get some coffee and tasty goodies from the Ocean Grove Bake Shop. Then we walked to the board walk, sat on a bench, watched some surfers, listened to the waves and chatted. Supreme quality time with my girl!! I couldn’t think of a better way to spend a Saturday Morning. Thank you for encouraging opportunity to find new places, share bonding moments and some great memories on a March Saturday!
Participating Sponsor (never heard of Star 99.1 before):
The CD was picked up by 2 teenage girls on Friday afternoon. I was surprised that it was gone that quickly and kind of felt bad for disappointing the guys who came afterwards to look for the CD. You are right about your listeners – they are loyal and fun! Can’t wait to see who wins the grand prize.
Thanks again for including us in the event and for passing my info. to Lorraine. I look forward to working with Star 99.1!
Best regards, Amy, 25 Burgers