The amount of new music being promoted is no joke. One record label friend shared with me that there were 48% more songs released in 2020 versus 2019. Feels like that’s continuing in 2021. You really do have too much music to listen to for potential song adds. But, consider it a blessing. Too much music isn’t a problem; it’s an opportunity. There are so many songs that can fit nicely into your radio station’s mission and DNA.
Ask yourself this question: “How are you handling the backload of great songs that should be added sooner than later?”
Every PD & MD handles this differently.
Here are 5 ways to help you feel less overwhelmed when it comes to managing your potential song adds.
1. Listen to songs like it’s your full-time job.
2. Divide the playlist up into three sections: future adds, songs I love, songs I like.
3. Listen actively, passively, and listen in different locations (car, work, walk, home).
4. Move songs up, down and OFF of your playlist constantly.
5. Be honest with the radio promoters asking you for your feedback.
I hope this has encouraged you. If you would like to talk, I would be honored to help build confidence in you, your team, and your brand. Together, we can grow the greatest message and the greatest songs Beyond (615) and into your local community.
Todd is the Owner of a Consulting & Coaching service at beyond615.com. He helps build confidence where people feel unsure. He also serves as the Christian Format Editor at AllAccess.com.