ASHEVILLE, N.C., Dec 8, 2022
– Through the 2022 “Hope to the Hungry” campaign on Dec. 1, The Light FM listeners donated enough money in a single day to provide 108,040 meals to those in need. This was the third year The Light FM partnered with seven rescue ministries to raise money to feed their community during this Christmas season. This year, the effort raised $229,046 in total. These meals will be distributed throughout the South Central and Southern Appalachia regions to children in need, to people who are experiencing homelessness, and to people who are recovering from drug addiction.
Donors had the choice to “give where they live,” by choosing a specific center to support. Every dollar donated was given directly to one of these centers:
- Cleveland County Rescue Mission in Shelby, North Carolina
- Haywood Pathways Center in Waynesville, North Carolina
- Hendersonville Rescue Mission in Hendersonville, North Carolina
- Knoxville Dream Center in Knoxville, Tennessee
- Salvation Army of Greenville in Greenville, South Carolina
- Strong Life Rescue Mission in Conover, North Carolina
- Western Carolina Rescue Ministries in Asheville, North Carolina
“There’s no better time than Christmas to invite The Light FM listeners to offer tangible comfort to those who are desperately hungry to get something more out of life,” said John Owens, general manager of Blue Ridge Broadcasting. “We reminded our listeners that for just $2.12, they could provide not just a warm meal, but also provide someone hope.”
Those who are interested in supporting the “Hope to the Hungry” campaign can still do so by visiting https://thelightfm.org/hope-to-the-hungry/ and handpicking a center to receive their gift.