Star 99.1, in the middle of fundraising, was forced to evacuate yesterday due to a fire.
Contents in a warehouse belonging to one of the tenants on the first floor caught fire around 1pm. While everyone waited outside for the fire department to arrive, the DJs drove to a backup location to continue broadcasting.
Several fire departments were on the scene and crews were able to extinguish the fire without it spreading.
Because of the nature of the fire – it is believed lithium batteries were the cause – no one could return to the building until the air was tested & deemed safe. Volunteers were sent home while staff waited outside for nearly 2 hours.
After being given the all clear signal, fundraising resumed and will continue until Saturday.