#ENCW Project Partners Respond to Hurricane Irma
Positive Alternative Radio (PAR) conducted a video conference call on Monday, September 11, 2017 with #ENCW Project Partners to discuss a coordinated industry-wide response to Hurricane Irma. More than 60 industry leaders, station representatives, and non-profit partners, took part in the call. As a result, many efforts are now underway to help the victims of Hurricane Irma with a strong focus on Florida, which was directly impacted by the storm.
#ENCW Project Partner Efforts (to date):
God’s Pit Crew – Randy Johnson, founder/president of God’s Pit Crew (GPC), has shared the following updates on their efforts in Florida:
- GPC has sent 12 semi-truck loads to Florida with two more trucks being loaded today. Each load represents 1,365,000 lbs. of products, which includes: Blessing Buckets, water, diapers, paper products, dog and cat food, and MREs (Meals Ready to Eat).
- GPC is conducting additional assessments today in Florida as they make plans for their next steps.
- GPC has secured a major donor willing and ready to match up to $50,000 in hurricane donations.
- GPC has received $841,346 in online relief support for both Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma relief efforts. $28,000 of that total has been received since Sunday, September 10.
- GPC’s relief efforts for victims of Hurricane Harvey continue in Texas.
Samaritan’s Purse – Dana Williams, who oversees Southeast Super Region media relations for Samaritan’s Purse, reports disaster response teams are helping thousands of families devastated by Hurricane Irma in the Caribbean and on the coast of Florida. Their efforts are as follows:
- Samaritan’s Purse has sent two Disaster Relief Units to Southwest Florida. Those units will serve as command centers to help affected families. Each unit is stocked with chainsaws, generators and tools.
- Chaplains from the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association’s Rapid Response Team will be working alongside Samaritan’s Purse in Florida to provide emotional and spiritual encouragement.
- More than two dozen disaster response specialists are distributing emergency supplies to some 4,000 families in the Caribbean.
- The organization’s DC-8 cargo plane has already transported more than 40 tons of aid and will continue to deliver critical supplies to islands in need.
- Samaritan’s Purse relief efforts for victims of Hurricane Harvey continue in Texas.
Feed The Hungry – The following report has been provided by Lamar Austin, director of development for Feed The Hungry (FTH):
- 100 tons of relief supplies are now in Florida; today 40 tons are moving from FTH’s staging point in Tampa to church partners in Naples and Bonita Springs.
- FTH continues to respond to what they term as, “…massive short-term needs across Florida and massive long-term needs across Southeast Texas.
- FTH asks for everyone to pray boldly that relief supplies continue to pour into both Texas and Florida and that many would come to know Jesus in the wake of these catastrophes as they see His love in action.
Convoy of Hope – The following report has been provided by Jared Mitchell, partner development director for Convoy of Hope (COH):
- COH arrived in the Florida on September 12 with multiple semi-trucks and has already started its distribution of relief supplies.
- COH has a team and supplies in the British Virgin Islands, the Caribbean, and soon Cuba.
- Long-term feeding needs are being assessed throughout the Keys, the Caribbean, British Virgin Islands, and Cuba.
- COH will be able to provide more resources to Florida as power and water are restored throughout the Gulf region.
- COH’s relief efforts for victims of Hurricane Harvey continue in Texas.
Any Christian radio station, network or organization may join the #ENCW Project as a partner. There is no cost and the only commitment is to agree to help impact one billion lives in five years. To sign up or for more information, please visit www.dearchristianradio.com. A resources page is available for all #ENCW Project Partners. That page can be accessed by visiting https://dearchristianradio.com/irma-response/. All new and existing #ENCW Project Partners are strongly encouraged to submit updates on their relief efforts for both Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma to Jerry Grimes at email@example.com.