NATIONWIDE RESEARCH AT A GLANCE
A big part of our work at Finney Media is doing representative sample music testing – online testing and auditorium testing – all over North America. Part of what we research is favorite Christian books. Here’s how we ask: “Other than the Bible, what are the best Christian books you’ve ever read?”
Here are the Top 5 titles from research done during 2019:
- The Shack – William P. Young
- The Five Love Languages – Gary Chapman
- Crazy Love – Francis Chan
- The Purpose Driven Life – Rick Warren
- (tie) Mere Christianity – CS Lewis
- (tie) Not A Fan – Kyle Idleman
- (tie) Jesus Calling – Sarah Young
- (tie) Left Behind Series – Tim LaHaye
- (tie) Heaven is for Real – Todd Burpo
- (tie) Battlefield of the Mind – Joyce Meyer
- (tie) The Case for Christ – Lee Strobel
A few observations about the latest list:
- It’s helpful to see what springs “top of mind” with listeners. We didn’t give them titles from which to choose.
- There are only two Christian fiction books on the list – The Shack and Left Behind.
- 67 years since its publication, Mere Christianity still makes the list. If you’ve never read it, we recommend you do. Or maybe read it again.
- The newest book on the list, Not A Fan, was published in 2011.
- And then the biggest question. Why should you care? To better understand your listener. Maybe it’s time to read, or perhaps skim, one of the books here you’ve never read. I need to do this with Kyle Idleman.
Coming in September – We’re seeing a surge in high scores with songs sung by women. And, not just Lauren Daigle. Analyzing nationwide testing since the first of the year, we’ll have The Top 5 Testing Songs Sung by Women.
Chuck Finney is the President of Finney Media and has over 30 years experience helping radio stations grow audience and deepen relationships with listeners. He led Salem’s KLTY Dallas to record audience levels and served as National Program Director for Salem’s Fish CCM stations. While with KLTY, the station won multiple awards, including NRB Music Station Of The Year, the CMB Major Market Station Of The Year and the NAB Religious Station Of The Year.
Chuck served as Chairman of Christian Music Broadcasters and currently serves on the Radio Committee of NRB.
Since 2009, he has consulted Christian Music and Teaching radio stations and ministries internationally, helping them reach more people while being Gospel-focused.
He and his wife of 25 years, Lynda, live in the DFW area and have two daughters.