NATIONWIDE RESEARCH AT A GLANCE
We are in one of the strangest times of our lives. We’ve rarely been part of a national experience where everyone has had their lives changed simultaneously for an extended period of time. In our recent blog Recommendations for Christian Radio Emerging from Lockdown, we pointed out three significant things to say to listeners during this extraordinary period. You can reread that blog HERE.
What are the values to emphasize behind those phrases of familiarity, safety and comfort? We believe we serve her best when we understand what’s on her mind and talk about those things with values consistent with what she expects from us.
This month’s Finney’s Fast Five is based on research of Christian radio listeners nationwide with Scriptural foundation Here’s our take on The Top Five Values Your Listener Wants from You Now:
- Empathy. The fear and worry are real. The sickness is real. The job losses and their financial and emotional challenges are real. The loneliness is real. The hurdles of homeschooling, childcare, and no summer camp are real. We’re at our best when we’re the friend who lives in that place with her. According to Dr. Brene Brown, empathy sounds like “Hey, I know what it’s like here . . . and you’re not alone.”
- Affirmation. “Mom, you’re doing a great job” is always a good idea. It just sounds a little different right now. From our Talent Coach Beth Bacall: Right now, it’s affirmation for doing the best she can with what she has.
- Other Focus. Might be you’re not scared of getting sick. Why wear a face mask? Here’s why: To honor others. It’s the right thing to do. Loving others well by thinking of others first. It’s always part of our DNA, but your listener would love to hear it more.
- Godly Perspective/Reassurance. About what’s happening in this world. According to our Talent Coach Gary Morland, this sounds like a calm confidence that God has this. Check this out: “I am one in whom Christ delights and dwells. I live in the strong and unshakeable kingdom of God. The kingdom is not in trouble, and neither am I.”*
- Eternal Perspective. Focusing more on our eternal home. One of the top reasons your listener listens to you is for help in worshipping God throughout the day.** That has not changed. She is coming to you to get away from the fear, worry, negativity and anger and to focus more on thanking and praising the God of the universe.
Today, we have more opportunity than ever through our radio, video and digital channels to be Jesus for our listener. Let’s make this a special time of ministry!
*James Bryan Smith
** Finney Media Why Listen? Survey 2018
Chuck Finney’s had radio playing in his head since he was just a boy. Over the course of his career, he’s worked in programming, radio research, and audience connection. Chuck’s passion for words and communication is widely recognized and he’s won several industry awards.
If you ask Chuck how he’s doing, he’ll either say “Blessed, thank you,” or “I really get to do this for a living?!” He’s the President of Finney Media, a speaker and author who loves telling stories and helping you do the same. Chuck is married and has two adult daughters. He lives with his wife, Lynda, in the Dallas area. For more information, read about Chuck at finneymedia.com.