- How you think is everything. Always be positive. Think success, not failure. Understand the power of dominant thought – whatever you concentrate on will grow…success or failure.
- Decide upon your dreams and goals. Write down your specific goals and develop a plan to reach them. If you don’t know where you’re going you’ll never get there.
- Take action. Nothing happens without action. As our friends at Nike say, “Just Do It.”
- Never stop learning. Go back to school or read books. Get training and acquire new skills. Personally, like professionally, you’re either moving forward or moving backward. Some of the casualties of radio are people who stopped growing.
- Be persistent and work hard. Success is a marathon, not a sprint. Never give up. Yes, we know it’s not easy, and we all get tired. That doesn’t matter.
- Learn to analyze details. Get all the facts, all the right input. Learn from your mistakes and DON’T be afraid to make mistakes as you learn to master certain things.
- Focus your time, energy and money. Don’t’ let other people or things distract you.
- Don’t be afraid to innovate; be different. Following the herd is a sure way to mediocrity, if not falling over a cliff.
- Deal and communicate with people effectively. No person is an island. Learn to understand and motivate others. Treat others like you would want them to treat you.
- Be honest and dependable, take responsibility for all your actions – both failure and success. Otherwise, numbers 1-9 won’t matter.
Slow down a minute…take a second look at the list. Work to be the best leader, manager, employee and person that you can. From all that will come greater success.
Brian Wright is a 30 year radio veteran who has successfully served many companies over the years as Program Director, Operations Manger and VP of programming.
After many years of success working for individual radio stations and clusters, Brian Joined one of the most trusted consulting firms in the country, Audience Development Group.
For the last 15 years Wright has enjoyed building alliances with scores of stations in the US & Canada helping them grow in ratings and revenue.